Friday, November 20, 2020

Glossy Grey Belgian -- Test Run...

 Wow.  I'm just blogging all over the place this week, aren't I, but I had to blog about the new Breyer test piece!

Exclusively for Breyer Collector Club members!  Breyer test run models are initial decos painted up to see how a particular color might look on a particular sculpture.  Or, they may be created to test out a painting technique or new colorway.  Not all test run models are used, and they may vary over time as different painting techniques are developed and tested.  Each model has a fixed price and interested members enter a random draw for the ability to purchase the test piece.


Everyone loves the Belgian...hahaha.  I just LOVE <heavy sarcasm> when people say "everyone".  How do they know "everyone" loves the Belgian?  I don't.  I don't dislike it, but I don't "love" it.  Sculpted by Chris Hess, this stout stallion was one of the very first draft horses in the Breyer lineup.  This Belgian test model is painted as a shaded light grey, with subtle golden highlights in his mane and tail and a sweet little snip on his nose.  Based on the painting techniques used to create this model, he likely dates from either the late 1990s or early 2000s.

As a HQ-used test model, the Glossy Grey Belgian does have some small flaws from being handled over the years.  He has a few small black marks on his body, mostly concentrated on his off-side barrel/hip.  There is also one small spot of missing paint on his back right hoof.  See gallery for details.  I think this is the first time Breyer has pointed out flaws and actually included photos of the flaws.  I know people have commented in the past about flaws on previous models, but I don't remember there ever being pictures of them and I don't remember if they even acknowledged any flaws until very recently where they would say that there "might" be damage.

This piece is priced at $1000 and comes with a certificate of authenticity.  The price on this is higher than all of the previous ones.  I wonder if the price increase will apply to all test runs going forward or they decided to add the extra $150 because it's a bigger model.  If it's the former, people are likely going to complain, but there's still going to be plenty of people who will enter to win.  A lot of people like "Bubble Butt".  If they're adding the extra cost because of the slightly larger size, well, that isn't much better.  I don't think the slightly larger size constitutes that much of a price increase.  Oh well.  It's a neat model, for sure, but I won't be entering to win.

Okay.  That's it for now, I guess.  Don't hold me to that, though.  hahahaha.


4 comments:

  1. i love the "Bubblebutt Belgian" as collectors nick-named him! But this "Test" isn't different enough from the "Blackhome Grandeur Lynn" for me to want him. And i guess that's all i gotta say about that. shan, here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Blackhome Grandeur Lynn”? Not familiar with that nickname.

      Delete
    2. "Bubblebutt Belgian" is his nickname as a mold, but, "Blackhome Grandeur Lyn" is a release Breyer did back in 2003 on the Belgian mold. shan, here.

      Delete
    3. Ohhh. Okay. Since I don't collect the mold I wasn't familiar with his "original" name. Thank you. :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every one.

That’s not fair! Lol

 Okay…so I was looking at Facebook earlier an say a model that caught my eye.  Now, this isn’t a super new mold,but this is only the, what, ...