Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Lancelot is back! And I've been living under a hobby rock apparently...

Did you miss out on the first round of Lancelot on the Breyer website?  Well, now you have a chance to get one...
This morning I went to the website to see if there were any new BreyerFest reveals before I got started on this post...spoiler alert: there wasn't but I'm sure there will be within an hour or two after I publish this...I saw that Lancelot was back.  I didn't buy him the first round and don't plan to buy from the re-stock, but I know there's some people out there who want one because, for whatever reason, they weren't able to get one.

So, I work an office job and we're allowed to listen to music or whatever, but we can't watch videos, so most days I am looking for movies that I can listen to just with my phone turned face down.  Yes, every now and then I'll take a quick peak if something sounds interesting, but I'm pretty good at not looking.  So, a couple of days ago I was looking for something different to listen to...maybe it was yesterday...and decided to check out Mares In Black...
I've seen / heard other people talk about it and how great it is, but it never really interested me.  I couldn't tell you why, it just wasn't something I wanted to investigate.  And now I'm wondering what rock was I living under?  hahaha.  Mares in Black is a podcast by Heather Malone and Jackie Rossi about the model horse world.  Probably the biggest thing that amazes me is that Heather lives in Colorado and Jackie lives in New Jersey but you'd never know it because they do it so seamlessly.  I wonder if they've done a podcast where they talk about how they're able to make that work.  I'm only on episode 5 so I don't know what topics they've covered beyond what I've listened to so far.  The ladies have great energy and really feed off of each other.  They cover all aspect of the hobby: showing, collecting, movie making / YouTube, customizing etc.  They also talk about more than just OF Breyers.  They also talk about Chinas and resins.  They give show reports, interview other hobbyists and just have a great time.  The only thing I "don't" like is that sometimes they talk over each other.  hahaha.  And one of them likes to use the word "prolific" and another (or it could be the same person, I can't quite tell them apart) often says "that's my jam".  I just cringe when I hear that.  I don't know why, I just do.  But that's me and not on them.  Something they both say that's annoying is "Good times".  They say that multiple times during a podcast.  But I've been laughing at the podcasts because Heather and Jackie have a great sense of humor and they bring up memories that make me smile.

For example, on one of the episodes I was listening to yesterday, they were talking about playing with their horses and making up little personalities and family groups and that was something my younger cousin used to do.  They were career military so they didn't come visit very often, but when they did Sadie would ask if she could play with some of my horses.  I had to take them down and put them back up for her but that was her choice.  She would point to who she wanted and I would take it down for her.  She came up with family groups with breeds that didn't match, change genders.  It was always amusing to watch her creativity.  Something I never did.  When I played with my models, I made sure their genders stayed the same and the families were the same breed or at least the same color.  hahaha.

It's interesting how they keep talking about the gap between older showers and younger ones and how to draw young people into the hobby and keep them there.  When I was still active in showing, there were some kids there and nobody excluded them.  They actually excluded themselves.  They stayed with their friends or whatever parent brought them and made no effort to interact.  I did see some adults try to include the younger ones.  Maybe that has changed.  I don't know.

Something the podcast taught me that I hadn't known before was a couple of years ago there was a young person who'd had a bunch of models stolen from his (?) parent's car.  I remember reading about it on Blab.  Apparently a bunch of people had gotten together and were able to get the horses replaced, which was no small feat since some of them were signed models and glossy prize models.  I was super impressed that people did that.

One of the upcoming podcasts is about Scottsdale Stampede so it'll be interesting to hear another point of view.  MIB tells it like it is so it might be something that isn't all sunshine and roses and maybe points out some shortfalls.  Who knows?

Okay.  I'm not making sense anymore so I'm going to end this now.  Until next time.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your overview on MIB. Always wondered about what it was a about, but never "checked it out"...i'll have to sometime. :) But first, i have many many Brenda entries to catch up on first! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I go through spurts where I won't listen for awhile and then I'll binge-listen. I'm still catching up, but I'm nearing being current, I think.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every one.

That’s not fair! Lol

 Okay…so I was looking at Facebook earlier an say a model that caught my eye.  Now, this isn’t a super new mold,but this is only the, what, ...