Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Breyerfest...can I "Make It Work"...and BF Sneak Peak Reveal...

There's a reality show I used to watch all the time called Project Runway.  It's about a group of wanna-be designers competing for a chance to have their own clothing line.  Each week they are given a challenge to complete using different materials such as candy wrappers and aluminum foil.  It's quite interesting to see what they come up with.  Heidi Klum is the hostess and one of the judges, but then there's this guy, Tim Gunn, who serves as kind of like the mentor for the designers?  I don't know if that his actual job on the show, but basically he walks around the workshop and looks at the designs-in-progress and offers suggestions and whatnot.  One of the things he frequently says is "Make it work" if he is skeptical of the design or if they are running out of time.  Well, I'm in the midst of my own "Make it work" moment.

A couple of months ago I found some mail addressed to me that was upwards of 3 years old.  None of it was super important, but one of the items was my tickets to Breyerfest 2017 Gateway to India
Since I don't have my 2020 tickets yet, I brought the packet to work so I could use it in today's post.  The National Velvet model is for "just because".   I honestly don't know why I even still have this packet.  Maybe because it's the closest I've ever gotten to actually going and subconsciously I just can't bring myself to get rid of it?  Or maybe it's because I'm a hoarder and *can't* get rid of it.  I know I'll never use it, especially since it's from 3 years ago.  So why keep it?  I don't know.

2020 is Breyer's 70th anniversary, as we all know.  I wanted to go to Breyerfest 2019 because it was their 30th anniversary and they had some neat models and variations, but I just couldn't "make it work"...but now I am seriously considering it.  I think they might have variations on their special runs for the 70th anniversary as well.  I'm looking at a couple of different possibilities.  I can fly to Louisville for $444 some odd dollars and just have a 1 hour drive to Lexington, but I would have to leave fairly early on Sunday.  Like around 10am to get back to Louisville in time for my flight.  Or... I could fly to Nashville for about $50 less and have a return flight later in the day on Sunday.  The drawback to that is the cost of the car rental would take away the $50 I'd be saving on the flight and it's a 3 hour drive from Nashville to Lexington, so an extra 2 hour drive time.  The plus side would be that I've never been to Nashville before (or Tennessee) so that would be kind of fun.  Even if I don't get to do any sight-seeing.  But would it really be worth it?  And I don't know that "real life" will even allow me to be away from home for 4 days so I guess I need to discuss that with the other parties involved before I get too into anything.  I'm getting the feeling I'm not going to be able to "make it work" but I have to at least try, right?  Right.

So, I got this new lunch box last week called Crew Cooler II.  I have been wanting it for about 6 months now because I kept seeing it on YouTube and I like that it has all kinds of pockets.  I had been using an Igloo brand cooler, but it just wasn't doing anything for me.  Sure, it held a lot, which is important since I take both my breakfast (usually cereal) and lunch to work, but I just didn't like the layout.  Well, initially I was worried the CC II would be too big so I bought the Crew Cooler Jr.  As soon as I got it I had the feeling it was going to be too small but I tried to "make it work" (there's that phrase again) for my needs.  I had to pack it real carefully, though, and there was really no room for extra stuff and I couldn't just toss things in.  So I got the Crew Cooler II.  I was able to get it $15 cheaper because there was a coupon on Amazon for it.  When I picked it up from the new Amazon locker near my house, I was immediately concerned about the size because it shipped in a pretty big box, but I quickly discovered it was "over-boxed".  It was almost twice the size of the cooler!  I just love how Amazon packages things sometimes.  The Crew Cooler Jr came in a bubble mailer.  I am really liking this cooler bag!  It's a little longer than your average lunch cooler, but not hideously so.  I can either pack it carefully or I can just toss things in willy-nilly.  It's great!  It's not the perfect lunch bag, but it's pretty close to it, in my opinion. 

By now, I'm sure you're saying "But, Brenda, this is a HOBBY blog.  About model horses.  So why are you babbling nonsense about lunch bags?"  Well, did you see the model horse in the above photo?  Are you ready for this?

He traveled from my car to my desk in the top, dry portion of the lunch cooler.  Obviously he didn't fit perfectly, but pretty darn close.  Pretty neat, huh?  I thought so.  I wouldn't be able to put a traditional sized horse in there, but no problem with most classics.  I brought this model to work so he could live on my desk...
Instead of the shipping box in the back of my car where he's been living the past few weeks.  So now he share desk space with a bunch of Stablemates and a little horse that came from India when a co-worker went there a couple of years ago, plus some other things.  I'm running out of room on my desk.  National Velvet / The Pie, has such a sweet face and I have him situated between my two computer monitors so I can see him easily.  He's kind of looking at me.  hahaha.  I'm being stared at.  Stop it!  Stop looking at me!  aaaaack!  Yes, I'm just a bit strange.

Well, I guess that's it for now.  Breyer should be revealing the rest of the 3rd sneak peak model in the next day or two and when they do, I'll post it here so be sure to tune in.  The current consensus seems to be that it's the non-equine model and a few people are guessing the Black Angus mold...
Personally, I think it's too lumpy, as are the other cows/bulls.  I don't know if Photoshop is capable of smoothing out bumpy things.  But we shall soon see.

Till next time!

***It's "next time"***
hahahaha.  Wow.  Someone at Breyer is really stepping it up with their sneak peaks.  As stated above, I didn't think #3 would be a non-equine because it seemed so smooth and the non-equines are bumpy.  But #3 IS, in fact, the non-equine special run.

Meet Hamish...


"Meet Hamish, this year's BreyerFest animal model!  Created on the Angus Bull mold (#365, which has not been used by Breyer since 2004!), sculpted by Chris Hess, this beautiful Irish Moiled Bull represents one of the rarest cattle breeds to originate in Ireland.  Used for both beef and milk and originally bred in the northern Irish counties, this majestic animal - considered on of the oldest cattle breeds in Ireland - can now be found all over the world.  (In fact, Finland boasts an incredibly high population of Irish Moiled Cows, suggesting that the Vikings were quite fond of this breed, too!)

These gentle giants are known by farmers for their longevity, but they also have incredibly distinct markings - some are almost completely white!

We hope you love Hamish as much as we do!"

I don't usually collect the animal molds, but I really like the looks of this guy.  He's got a very sweet face and I like the markings.  Dangitall!  That's 3 for 3 now that I want.  What to do, what to do?


2 comments:

  1. i am sad you might not make it to Breyerfest, but i wouldn't consider it hoarder-ly to keep the unspent Breyerfest SR ticket. The rest of us keep our bent up, ripped, torn, and otherwise marked up all over tickets so i don't see why you should not?!

    Let's hear it for Hamish! i knows for sures i haz to haz him, hahaha! And i so hope you get him, too! Excellent blog post! i absolutely LOVE that Pie can fit (almost and or close enough) into your lunchbag! That is awesome, hahahaha! i am also glad "The Pie" fits on your desk and can keep an eye on you while you work! ;) And also, Pie can keep you company! i don't find you particularly strange, but rather cute! Great job!! (shannon, here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. I'm glad to know you don't find me "particularly strange", although I already know I am. ;)

      It's a little unsettling to have the Pie staring at me constantly, though. Like...he's judging me or something. hahaha. Maybe I should turn him slightly. Oh, but then he'd be giving me the side-eye and that's almost worse.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every one.

That’s not fair! Lol

 Okay…so I was looking at Facebook earlier an say a model that caught my eye.  Now, this isn’t a super new mold,but this is only the, what, ...