Saturday, July 13, 2019

Let’s try this again...

Hey, Everyone.  I hope you are all well this mid-July Saturday.  I have decided to give blogging another try.  I had one...well, it’s still there but inactive...under a different gmail account but I didn’t really like it.  Even though it wasn’t 100% model horse content, I had a couple of followers who weren’t in the hobby and didn’t understand about little plastic ponies when they had real ones and a couple of times made comments that made me feel embarrassed to still be collecting Brewers at my age.  Really, who cares what other people think but I want a fresh start and there’s nothing wrong with that, right?

So, my name is Brenda and I live in Arizona.  Not married.  No kids except a couple of felines.  I have been collecting for more years than I can remember.  At least since I was 8 and would beg my parents to take me to Toys N Things or the Doll House so I could get a model.  Back then, they came in cardboard boxes and were about $5.99 for a traditional.  Those were the days.  Back then you could find Breyers on the shelves at stores like JC Penney and Sears, before they became catalog-only.

I am hoping this blog will help keep my Breyerfest-fueled in collecting again going.  It’s difficult when you no longer have local stores who carry Breyer.  My longtime dealer, whom I’ve been buying from since they opened in 1982(ish), decided to close a couple of years ago.  The owners were a wonderful couple who treated their regular customers really well.  Well, they treated everyone well, but their regular Breyer customers got first dibs on everything.  They’re now enjoying retirement with their grandchildren and can do it together rather than make sure someone was around to watch the shop.

Speaking of Breyerfest...I have never been, although I have come close three times.  Every year I say will be the year, but I have yet to go.  I don’t fly well and it gives me anxiety to think of spending that much time on an airplane, to say nothing of the cost.  I wish I’d gone this year because of all the variations that have been popping up due to it being the 30th anniversary.  I’ve been wanting to go since it started.  Maybe next year.  My birthday in 2020 will be a big one so going to BF would be a good way to celebrate it.  I wouldn’t go just for BF, though.  I’d also go to visit a couple of zoos.  That’s another of my hobbies.  Visiting different zoos.  I’ve been to ones all over Arizona (of course), plus California, Nevada and Washington, although I was only four and don’t remember much.  I have been to a collector event, however.  In November 2018 I attended Scottsdale Stampede and will do a post about that in the near future, even though it happened 8 months ago.

I collect mostly traditional OF models, but I have a growing number of Stablemates.  At one time, I collected whatever horse caught my eye but now I’m a bit more selective and try to stick with molds I conga.  My favorite is Lady Phase with Idocus and San Domingo close behind.

I had a hard time finding model related blogs that were still active.  I guess everyone is on Facebook or YouTube now?  Hopefully someone will read this.  Lol.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! Another good write up! i dunno how i missed this one! i really hope you DO go to BF next year! But i can see why you would wanna do zoos, too! Especially as much as you adore naminals! LOL! This year was my 50th b-day and the BIG thing that was done differently than other b-days at BF was a friend got me cupcakes to celebrate with! YUM! Otherwise it was just like all the other Breyerfests! :) i remember when Breyers were six bux for traditional sized horses, too, and i remember the horses from WARDS, SEARS, and JCP! You are right-THOSE were the days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad to see you're enjoying this so far. I know I haven't posted in a couple of weeks, but that's only temporary. I do have plans, I just haven't taken the necessary pictures to go with the posts I want to do.

      50 is the birthday I'll be "celebrating" in 2020. That's such an ominous number, but it's just a number, right? That's nice a friend gave you cupcakes to celebrate with. My birthday is in April and while I know people who attend BF, I've never met them in person so the odds of getting any sort of sweets for my birthday is highly unlikely, especially since BF is 3 months later. hahaha.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every one.

That’s not fair! Lol

 Okay…so I was looking at Facebook earlier an say a model that caught my eye.  Now, this isn’t a super new mold,but this is only the, what, ...