Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Hobby Goings On...

 Happy Wednesday, everyone!  I thought I'd get this "out of the way" early today. 

Not a whole lot is going on in the world of the hobby right now.  Well...I guess that's not entirely true.  Some people are knee deep in NaMoPaiMo, which is National Model Painting Month...not to be confused with NaNoWriMo, which is National Novel Writing Month.  Whoever started the NaMoPaiMo took it from that. 

Anyway, NaMoPaiMo happens in February and involves...well...model horse painting.  No, really, it does.  In the past, I have attempted NaNoWriMo, but have never officially done it because it's a computer-based thing and you have to keep track of how many words you write and, well, I write longhand so it's a little more difficult to do it that way.  I did sign up a couple of years ago to "officially" do it, but it didn't really go much beyond that.  I love to write, but I have a problem with guidelines and deadlines and stuff like that.  

But I digress.  NaMoPaiMo is not something I would ever consider doing.  Why?  I can't paint my way out of a corner.  Or would that be, I can't paint my into a corner?  Regardless, my painting skills really leave something to be desired.  I have attempted it before, but with disastrous results.  I don't know about priming or layering or anything like that.  I just got some acrylic paint and a paintbrush and went to town on a poor, unsuspecting model.  Now hold up, hold up.  Before any of you model painters tell me how "easy" it is and just takes practice...save your breath.  hahaha.  I would rather just leave it up to the experts.  I don't even collect custom painted horses...no interest in it...and I don't have the room to do it properly.  I'm not going to say I don't "have time" for it because everyone has the same amount of time during the day.  I just choose to use my time in other ways.  Why do I feel like I'm in danger of putting my foot in my mouth?  Or is it already there?  hahaha.  My point is, a lot of hobbyists right now are working on their projects so that is what is occupying the hobby at the moment.  Good luck to everyone participating.  A new "thing" that started last year was Minis Painting Minis, which to my knowledge is just a fun thing of dolls such as the Breyer rider dolls, painting mini whinnies and other such tiny horses.  I saw some pictures from last year and some of the set-ups were pretty cool and detailed.

Field of Dreams / Anne Field
For some reason captions aren't showing up, but this photo is from the Field of Dreams blog 2020.  I wish I was clever enough to come up with that sort of thing.  I mean, I get ideas in my head, but I seem to have a problem actually making it look like I have imagined.  I can't think of what the word is.  Oh well.

Another thing that seems to be occupying hobbyist's time and minds is Breyer's upcoming Boot Camp.
I won't give my opinion something else becoming a virtual event because I know it's not a popular one, but just know I'm annoyed by the whole thing and leave it at that.

So...what is Breyer Boot Camp?  From the Breyer website:  For many years, a dedicated group of model horse experts, equine enthusiasts and thousands of newcomers have gathered together each spring for BreyerWest, a weekend brimming with artistic talent, equestrian knowledge and a lot of fun!  Traditionally hosted at a west coast venue (last year it was moved to Colorado, which I don't consider west coast), we've moved this energizing, community-building event online as Breyer Boot Campt so that crafters, hobbyists and model horse enthusiasts from around the world can join in the action!  We are so excited to make 2021's event OUR BIGGEST YET.

This event is perfect for our new fans, novice hobbyists and Breyer moms and dads who loved participating in our National Fun Day (or working on that Breyer craft kit at home) and are ready for the next step into the world of model horses.  Breyer Boot Camp guides participants through each area of the model horse world and prepares you to JOIN IN!  No more watching from the sidelines wondering how to get started.  Have some FUN with your collection without having to pack it up and travel.  Meet interesting artists and ask those burning "how-to" questions.  Or jump right in and take a workshop with one of the multi-talented instructors.    Breyer Boot Camp will include all the things you know and love about in-person BreyerWest, including both Open and Novice model horse shows, live Q&A with exceptionally talented hobby artists, workshpos and more!

Well, somehow I doubt a virtual event is as exciting as the actual in-person one.  The in-person event was always held in conjunction with a big horse show so by it being virtual, you're not getting the excitement of seeing the live horses.  It's just not the same.  And "meeting" people on Zoom definitely isn't the same as getting to meet someone in person.  Maybe getting a photo with them.  But...oh well... that's just my opinion.  I briefly considered signing up and taking a workshop or two, but in looking at the schedule, there isn't a single thing on there that catches my interest.  It looks like there's only three workshops?  Repositioning Your Stablemate's head, Put Wings and a Horn on it and Paint that Pinto.  None of that seems like it can be done by a beginner.  I don't know.  I just don't get it.  And the Live Q&A sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.  There's going to be a bunch of people on the Zoom meeting and everyone is going to want to ask a question and many will get overlooked.  I know there's the ability to where you have to "raise your hand" to ask a question so not everyone is talking at once, but I still don't see that as turning out very well.  I don't know.  Maybe I'm just being cynical, but they do seem to be really selling it on how big and exciting it's going to be, but from what I'm seeing, it's really not.  And yes, the tickets are only $5.00 but how much are the workshops?  Those are an additional charge.  And where are you supposed to get the wings and horn for the one workshop?  The website says "a limited number of meeting participant slots will be available for each of the three workshops.  These participants will receive their supplies from Breyer and be able to interact with their instructor live during the workshop.  Webinar participants will be able to participate in workshops live, but will not be able to interact with the instructors and will need to procure their own supplies.  So, basically, you're on your own.  Where do you go to buy wings and a horn?  And to reposition something correctly, I'd think you'd need some kind of cutting tool like a dremel or something.  So tell me again how these workshops are suitable for all levels?  hahahaha.

Okay.  I'm going to stop there.  I don't want to lose the few readers I have because I unintentionally offended them by saying something negative about something they're excited about.  Before I sign off for the day, I would like to share a photo of the Infamous Sharkie (without a blankie).  I don't think I ever shared how he came about.  It's sort of hobby-related.  Does anyone want to know?
There he is.  I've mentioned him a couple of times in the blog and now you can see him.  He's not quite as long as the notebook he's sitting on, but pretty close.  He's a big boy.

Well, til next time!






4 comments:

  1. Hey! (shan, here) i cannot remember what you wrote about the Infamous Sharkie (without a blankie...Sounds fun. What happened with him? :)

    No worries about Breyer Boot Camp...i am not too sure about it, either. Those workshops, either. But, again, no worries if someone wants to do them...At the same time, not a fan of Virtual Schtuff, either.

    Hey! Thank you for mentioning NaMoPaiMo! i am participating for the first time in my life this year! i am focusing on dapple grey...Hoping to complete not just one SM horse, but four during the duration of February! The SM Indian Pony is my entry. i also noticed the "participation" of minis painting minis, heehee! And i thought of you, Brenda, and your Eccentric Uncle Bob! Wish i had a Bob doll, too, hahaha! So much fun! Maybe some year, i'll participate in that capacity?



    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I think Breyer Boot Camp is more for people like you than it is for people like me because you have experience. You know what you're doing when it comes to painting models. I don't. And it's only 3 workshops. Even if I wanted to participate in one, where would I find a pair of wings and a horn of the appropriate size? Not like I can go to the corner market for those items.

    I've noticed other people are doing more than one model, but they have their "official" entry one. I'm sure you'll do just fine. A couple of the ones I've seen by you I thought were legitimate OF models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (shan, here) Oh man, thank you! You are so sweet! Thank you for complimenting and high praise for my painting of models! i just don't really like fighting with my lousy internet connection to try and "do workshops" though. As far as finding the horns n wings n type schtuffs, i'd think one would have to go to online because you are right, Brenda, in not being able to find said items at the corner market, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Yeah, I don't know about the convenience stores in Tennessee, but the ones in Arizona don't have wings and horns for model horses. ;) Probably doing the non-live version of the workshop would work best for you.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every one.

That’s not fair! Lol

 Okay…so I was looking at Facebook earlier an say a model that caught my eye.  Now, this isn’t a super new mold,but this is only the, what, ...