Friday, August 16, 2019

Grails...Do you have any?

I don't mean have you obtained any of your grails, although that would be great if you have.  What I'm asking is do you have any?  Are there any models out there you covet, but don't have either due to the rarity of the model or the price when you do find it?

Oftentimes I will see posts on Blab from someone saying they need to sell some models because a grail became available and they needed money for it.  I have also seen a thread (or two?) asking people what their grails are.  I never really considered myself to be a person who had grails until 2014 when I saw a picture of Zydeco, from the Breyer collector event Big Easy Bash.
Only 12 were made of him and I have never seen him for sale on the secondary market.  I'm sure I'd never be able to afford him if he ever did appear.  I'm not real sure why I like him so much.  He isn't very fancy or flashy.  In fact, he's actually kind of boring-looking.  Bay with a single coronet.  I don't even know what kind of facial markings he has, if he even has any.  So why is he my grail?  Yes, I conga the Totilas mold and there's other one of a kind models I don't have, but I'm fine with that.  I have other models who're flashier than this guy, but still I want him.  Not that I'm willing to spend oodles of money on one.  I'm not real sure what my top price would be.  2nd in line and much more obtainable if I want to spend the money on him is Man of the Hour.  I've already shared a photo in a previous blog post about Breyerfest, but I like him so much I'll put him here, too
I'm not a huge fan of "color roans" (strawberry roan, bay roan, blue roan), especially when it comes to models since I don't like the super dark faces, but Man of the Hour is just amazing-looking.  Flashier than Zydeco and definitely more obtainable, but he is 2nd behind Zydeco as far as wantability.  Yes, that's a word.  I just made it up.  hahaha.

I also have several small, more affordable "grails".  I'm not sure if they can be considered that since they're more obtainable, it's just having the money for them or them being available when I have the money.  I'm not going to start at the top of the list because my 2nd top is another Totilas mold.  It's Rialto
I actually won him, but I sold him to someone else because I didn't really have the money for him when the contest winners were notified.  I would like to obtain another one in the future.

The top of my mini grail list is Acadia
I conga Valegro and I so wanted Acadia when he was a web special.  I already had one collector club membership, but I bought 3 more just to have more chances.  I entered daily on all 4 accounts and did not win nor was I selected from the wait list.  I was so disappointed.  A couple of months ago I almost bought one that was at what I considered an okay price, but decided I wasn't really in a position to buy him at that time so I told the seller I had to cancel.  They don't seem to come up for sale very often and I worry I won't be able to get him when I have the money I'm willing to spend.  I like paints and he's not a very flashy paint and that's fine.  I like the subtleness, which is almost contradictory because of Zydeco, but Acadia has lots of chrome on him.

Other models I would like are in no particular order and none of them are particularly easily obtained and I have only seen one up for sale a couple of times.  That would be the black paint Stud Spider
I would prefer him with the truck he originally came with, but I'd be happy with just the model in good condition for a good price.  I almost bought one once.  A couple of years ago.  It was just the model.  Before I bought him, though, I asked on Blab if the model was worth the price the seller was asking.  In the end, I took a pass.  I think I've seen him up once since then, but I don't look daily or even all that often.  He's almost identical to Banjo, whom I have, but the color is different (banjo is palomino paint) and I conga Stud Spider.

Dixon is another collector club special that is unobtainable.  She comes from 2016's Chasing the Chesapeake event and was a table model, I think?  The thing that makes her more unique is that she was done on the retired Halla mold rather than the slightly redesigned Bolya one.  I don't think I've ever seen her for sale, but again, I don't look frequently.


Last, but not least, is C'est Bon
He was the Early Bird Raffle from 2015 Breyerfest, which would probably put him up near the top for being unobtainable like Zydeco and Man of the Hour.  I like the minimal paint, like with Acadia.  I've never been a huge fan of paints with lots of white on them, although I couldn't tell you why.  It's just not something that appeals to me.

So tell me...do you have any grails?  Have you ever been able to achieve one?  I'd be curious to know.  And who was it?

4 comments:

  1. Been blessed enough to achieve some grails but i always want maaorr! HAHA! It seems Breyer cannot stop producing beautiful, rare, and desirable models! Biggest models on my "grail radar" now: (in no particular order) Fandango buckskin Moody Andy, Silver Charm Moody Andy, Glossy Isadora Cruce Kota, Honky Tonk Kota Early Bird, Gold Rusk Raffle Lady Phase, Glossy Treasured Moves Lady Phase, Matte Dapple Grey Running Mare & Foal, Solid Buckskin Running Mare & Foal Lonestar Event Stetson Stud Spider, Big Easy Event Farris APH, '19 BF Blue Variation Banner, Velvet Rope Event Ethereal Showtime, Tempestous Silver Raffle, Prairie Storm BF Live Champ SCO, '19 BF Light Appy Variation SCO, Glossy Brass Hat, Cinza Valegrow Raffle, Batal & Amira Proud Arabs, and Big Easy Event Beignet...Ugh. That's too many! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. I will have to look up those models to see what they look like. I know what the molds look like, but not those particular ones. I'm glad you've been able to obtain some of your grails and, yes, it looks like you still have a few others you'd like to have. Good luck.

      Delete
  2. i'm shannon! (you know me from blab) Thank you for blogging! It's neat! Not something i've ever done and something i've not followed until now. The ole computer has a hard time with schtuff like the book of face so it is nice you have this out here to read! Thank you for wishing me luck on more grails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had already replied to this, but apparently something happened and it didn't post. I wondered if that was you, given the whole Nokota thing, but the writing wasn't your usual style. hahaha. Thank you.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate each and every one.

That’s not fair! Lol

 Okay…so I was looking at Facebook earlier an say a model that caught my eye.  Now, this isn’t a super new mold,but this is only the, what, ...